Wednesday, February 10, 2016

A collection of the Lord's Commandments

How important is it to keep the Lord Jesus's commandments? The New Testament gives a pretty clear answer:
Yet why do you call me, “Lord!”, “Lord!”, and do not do what I say? (Luke 6:46)
If you love me, you will keep my commandments. (John 14:15)

If you remain in my word, truly are you my disciples. And you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free. (John 8:31-32)
My own experience is that Jesus is telling the truth: when I began keeping the Lord's word, I did begin the journey out of "Pharaoh's Egypt" (i.e. sin slavery) and into God's amazing and wonderful freedom. But how can a person learn Jesus's commandments? One way, presumably, is to read the whole New Testament and color-highlight the texts where the Lord Jesus gives commandments. I tried that, and I am not sure how pedagogically effective it was for me or my daughter! So how about making collections of the Lord's commandments?

Several weeks ago I began to do that, and because of copyright restrictions by English versions (like KJV, NKJV), I made new translations. Via this link you can see twelve texts with the Lord Jesus's commandments. A brief example is given here:
Everyone coming to me, hearing my words, and doing them - I will show you whom that one is like. He is like a person house-building a house, who dug and made deep and placed a foundation on the rock. And a flood having come, the river beat against that house, and had not power to shake it, for it was founded on the rock. But the one having heard and not doing, is like a person house-building a house on the earth, without a foundation, against which the river beat, and immediately it collapsed, and the ruin of that house became great. (Luke 6:47-49)

No comments:

Post a Comment