Friday, June 17, 2016

Two guides to Christian rejoicing

How can a Christian "always rejoice", as God's Word in 1 Thessalonians 5:16 commands him or her? It can hardly be rejoicing in the general conditions for life in the world, which are described by God's Word as continually worsening during a long period, marked by increasing lawlessness and lovelessness (e.g. Matthew 24:12). 

Two guides toward Christian rejoicing are given here:

"As the Father hath loved me, so have I loved you: continue ye in my love. If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love. These things have I spoken unto you, that my joy might remain in you, and that your joy might be full." (John 15:9-11, KJV)

"Rejoice in the Lord always: and again I say, Rejoice. Let your moderation be known unto all men. The Lord is at hand. Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus." (Philippians 4:4-7, KJV)


KJV: Scripture quotations from The Authorized (King James) Version. Rights in the Authorized Version in the United Kingdom are vested in the Crown. Reproduced by permission of the Crown’s patentee, Cambridge University Press.

No comments:

Post a Comment